Volker Quaschning: The Energy Transition - An Opportunity for Many(s)
Volker Quaschning is professor for regenerative energy systems at the University of Applied Sciences HTW Berlin since 2004, speaker for the course of studies regenerative energies and leads the research group solar storage systems.
Volker Quaschning holds a doctorate in the field of photovoltaics and a habilitation on climate-compatible energy supply and is considered one of the leading energy transition experts in Germany. He is the author of several successful reference books on renewable energy and climate protection, which have been translated into various languages and are considered standard works. His latest non-fiction book Energierevolution JETZT is on the Spiegel bestseller lists.
Volker Quaschning runs his own YouTube channel, with several million views, a podcast and his own internet portal on renewable energies and climate protection. He is a welcome interview partner in newspapers, radio and television. He has a wide reach in social networks and was awarded the German Solar Prize for his personal commitment, as well as being included in the Top Voices list on LinkedIn.
Volker Quaschning - possible lecture topics:
- Energy transition and climate protection - Are we really better than Trump?
- Why we need a real energy revolution instead of a lukewarm energy transition.
- Sector coupling through the energy transition - Necessary expansion targets to achieve the Paris climate protection goals.
- Electricity, heat, transport - What needs to change for successful climate protection?
- 100 percent electromobility - The key to climate-friendly transport.
- Demands placed on the heating industry by the Paris climate protection agreement.
- The importance of wind power for the energy transition and climate protection.
- The importance of photovoltaic self-consumption systems for climate protection in Germany.
Ever new heat records, drought summers and natural disasters are making us increasingly aware that unchecked climate change will have dramatic consequences for mankind. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change urgently recommends that we do not allow global warming to exceed 1.5°C. If we want to achieve this, we must realize an energy supply in Germany in less than 20 years that is completely free of natural gas, crude oil and coal. With Germany's current energy and climate protection policy, it is impossible to comply with the Paris climate protection agreement.
Volker Quaschning shows what consequences we can expect if we fail to meet our climate targets and how we can avoid them now. However, this does not require a half-hearted energy turnaround, but a real energy revolution. Renewable energies such as photovoltaics and wind power, together with modern storage systems and smart grids, can and must very quickly ensure our energy supply is reliable and climate-neutral. In addition to a transformation of our energy supply, we also need a genuine change in transportation and heating, as well as a completely different approach to agriculture.
Prof. Volker Quaschning succeeds in shaking up the audience with his lectures, but does not leave them with the feeling of hopelessness, but shows real alternatives and spreads a real mood of departure in a rousing manner.